The Indian Mutiny Medal was designed in 1858 for officers that served in Indian and British units during campaigns against the Indian Mutiny. It was first authorized to give out to troops that were actually caught in action with the Indian mutineers, but in 1868 it was opened up to every unit that had been under fire or borne arms at some point of the Indian suppression. This included members of the Indian civil service and Indian judiciary who also were engaged in the fighting.
Overall about 290,000 Indian Mutiny medals were awarded to those involved in the campaign. The front side of the medal has the inscription Victoria Regina surrounding the head of Queen Victoria.
On the other side Britannia is depicted with holding a union shield and a wreath with a lion standing behind her. Along the top and bottom of this side are the words ‘India 1857-1858.’ It is adorned with a white ribbon that features two scarlet stripes.
The Indian Mutiny Medal was authorized to be handed out to recipients with up to five clasps although the most ever received was four. There were two eligibility levels of the war, those who received a clasp for serving in the line of duty and those who received a medal without a clasp for simply becoming involved in the campaign but not directly facing fire. Most of the recipients received the medal when the 1868 extension was made and did not face fire.